Pets And The Holiday Season
Holidays can be stressful not only for you, yet for your pet as well. Imagine, you’re running around the house hanging some last minute holiday decorations, preparing for a party or perhaps you’re throwing one yourself because your family is coming to visit. Our daily routine may change in the mayhem of the holiday season. So what does this mean for our pets? Quite an inconvenience, especially since our pets LOVE their daily routine.
Here are some tips to keeping your pet happy, stress-free and safe around the holiday season:
- If you take your pet to a holiday party, watch your pet’s behavior around people, especially children. Is your pet enjoying themselves or are they resistant to the people? Do not place your pet in a situation where they may feel uncomfortable or scared. Sometimes frightened animals will bite out of fear.
- Are there children present at the party? Make sure they do not feed your pet what they aren’t supposed to!
- Don’t give your pet table food scraps.
- Give your pet a toy to occupy their mind.
- Give them plenty of exercises to reduce their stress. If it means hiring a dog walker because you can’t walk your dog, or taking them to a veterinarian for an indoor pool, keeping them active will keep them happy.
- Don’t change your pet’s diet. Let your pet see that even in the mayhem of all the holiday excitement, they still get the meal they know and love.
- If your pet is stressed, there are natural options to help them cope. It is best to consult with an animal health professional to determine which herbs or supplements would be best for your pet in particular.
Now go ahead and enjoy some quality time with your furry little friend.
From all of us at Holistic Vet Care, Happy Holidays!